Sunday 22 July 2012

Labels


Some people get very hung up on labels. TheNakedPastor.com has, of late, been decrying labels that others put on him, refusing to be defined by them – while trying to take the label “atheist” himself. I am not sure I agree with this anti-labelism though.

I do have a problem with pigeon-holes. The difference is that you can only ever be in one pigeon-hole, and when you are in it, that defines you entirely, and tends to separate you from others – definition by those things that differ is a problem.

We were in Yorkshire recently, and had a meal from a Chinese Takeaway. I am presuming that it was run by a family, the older members of the family being in the back cooking, and talking Chinese exclusively. The younger members served us, and spoke English without a trace of Chinese accent. However one spoke with a Yorkshire accent, and one with a London or Southern accent. It made me wonder if they spoke Chinese with a Yorkshire accent, and how obscure that seems. But it made me think what are they? Chinese? Yes, by racial origin, family, one language. British? Yes by birth, I am guessing. Yorkshire? Yes, because that is where they live, and where the younger one was probably born. All of these make up a rich and varied cultural mix, all of these labels contribute to some part of who they are.

That is why I don’t have a problem with labels, because you can always add more labels. Yes, I am a Christian, Evangelical, supporter of Women Bishops and gay marriage. Some may label me “open evangelical”, others “liberal”, others “heretical” – that is fine, I will take those labels, but add my own – like “Biblically based” – usually one that sits uncomfortably with the others.

That is, I think the fun of labels. You can stick whatever labels you want on me. What you can’t do is ignore the others that I have stuck on me, or refuse to allow me to put my own labels on. You cannot define me with your labels – you can only add a particular something to the rich blend I already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment