Tuesday 20 November 2012

General Synods rejection of Women Bishops

This is just a quick post noting that the General Synod has again rejected the measure to allow Women Bishops.

Some part of me is astounded that they cannot sort this out. The problem is that the church is being shown to be so far behind the times - there is no other area in life where this would be a matter of debate.

Of course, as some people have pointed out, it is not that Synod have rejected the principle of women bishops - they have accepted this. What they cannot do is agree the measure to allow it. Which does not make things any better.

I have tended to ignore this subject, for the simple reason that it is a pointless and meaningless debate. There is no reason for not having women bishops. I am all for it happening, if - a matter for debate itself - you have to have bishops. I just have no time for all of the stupidity that has surrounded the topic of late.

The impression this gives is that the church is not a place that has any relevance to the 21st century. That is my problem with this - I might not have a lot of time for the church as a whole, but when it insists on making Christianity seem stupid, I have a problem.

I also accept that for some people, women bishops is a problem. I accept and understand that, but I cannot see how that position has a place today. What is more, it does not have any real biblical support - the matter is not as simple as people seem to argue. And it is very damaging to women to constantly tell them that they are second class citizens - especially at a time when they constitute the majority of the church members.

There is a part of me, however, that thinks it is a good think that this has passed, because I suspect that Parliament may feel that they have to step in, and enforce equality legislation, and push the matter. I think it may, in the end, serve to give the Church of England the kick it needs.

On the other hand, it might be the final death knell of the Church of England. That is a real possibility.

2 comments:

  1. General Synod has not rejected women bishops. the vote to allow women bishops was passed in 2010.

    All sides agrees that:

    1. There will be women bishops.

    2. There need to be safeguards for the minority who for various theological reasons cannot accept women bishops.

    What was rejected was proposals to protect the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I mentioned. My point is that it really doesn't make it any better that synod cannot put together the rules to make something happen that everyone wants. That strikes me as incompetence.

    What is more, from a public perception - not to mention the perception of some of the female clergy - is that women bishops have been rejected. What is clear is that out of this synod, women will not be allowed to become bishops. That is the core failure, that is what most people see. Anything else is nuance.

    ReplyDelete