Monday 18 February 2013

I am not a coffee snob...

 You know the sort of people who ask for a coffee, and when you tell them it is instant decide that they want water instead? That is not me. But we have recently bought one of these, and my morning coffees have been revolutionised.

So why do I feel a need to blog about this? Because the design of this stove-top espresso maker is something worth commenting on. You see, we have had a cafetiere for many years, and it makes nice coffee. But I have not tended to use it, because I find it a lot of hassle to clean each time. This espresso maker does not have that problem.

It makes me a coffee in something like the time it takes me to get dressed in the morning, so I put it on, get dressed, and come down to pour my coffee. When it has cooled down, while making a cup of tea, I clean it up, ready for the next day (my diet regime means that I only have 1 coffee a day at the moment). Easy, simple, no problems.

What is more, the design dates back to 1933. The styling is definitely from that time, or at least some time before this century. Any yet it does not need updating - it works, it does what it is supposed to do, and it consists on just 1 moving part - the lid. Coffee - and style - has moved on in the last 60 years, but there is no need for changing something that does not need it. Making it "pretty" would me pointless, because it sits on a stove, and will get burn marks on it if you make it look clever. Changing the style at all would not help it, and would lose some of the classic look. There is, I think it is fair to say, nothing that could be done to make it better. Which is why it is exactly the same as it always has been.

Actually, that is not entirely true - they come in aluminum by default, but for induction hobs, they need to be steel, which is also an option.

Is there a point to all of this? Possibly. There are things that need to change with time. And yet there are things that don't. Trying to work out what falls into which category is the big challenge. This espresso maker looks like it could do with updating, but that is only superficial - the real important parts of this are the function pieces that actually work. They don't need changing.

Looking at this from a faith perspective, there are aspects that need to change - these are the externals. There is a core part of faith that is eternal. That is the message of a God who is and continues to be, and continues to care. Pretty much everything else is externals. Externals date things, but externals can be changed. changing externals just for the sake of it is mistaken, but changing externals to fit and make them more appropriate does not affect the important stuff. So aluminum or steel makes no core difference, just makes it more widely appropriate.

Oh, and it does make nice coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment